Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Gallery Wall - Family Room

I document our family life in our scrapbooks, but it's also important to document who we are in our home decor.

I had been wanting a funky gallery wall in our family room, but it took me a while to figure out what I wanted to hang. I pinned lots of ideas to a Pinterest board.

I wanted a mixture of photos, art, and words. I also wanted a variety of colours, shapes, and textures. Most of all, I wanted a casual feel.

As I collected items, I would place them on the floor to get layout ideas, and then snap a photo on my phone. 

Once we had gathered all of the items, we placed them on the floor and started hanging items one-by-one. We used 3M Velcro strips to hang most of the items on the wall.

Here's the finished product:


Here's a close-up of the alphabet word art in the middle:


In addition to favourite photos, we included other meaningful items.

A few years ago, our son made a clay plaque of our family in an art class. We loved it, and now we're happy to be able to honour it on the gallery wall.


I also liked the texture on this star, so even though I bought it at Christmas time, it's staying up all year.

We also love this key. Our first home was built in 1912, and this key was found in that house. (Don't worry, the key didn't work in any doors, so the new home-owners are okay!) I stamped a canvas texture onto cardstock and attached the key with a little ribbon and a brad. Without the glass in the frame, the dimension has a cool effect.


We love how the gallery wall turned out, and it makes us smile every time we enter the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment