Monday, July 27, 2015

Photo Workflow

I've had friends ask me to explain my photo workflow, so here goes...

I take 95% of my photos on my iPhone 6. 

If I think I'm going to use the photo in a scrapbook or share it to social media, I open it in PicTapGo to edit it. As of right now, this app is available just for iPhone. (There are several great photo editing apps available for Android.)




Photos can be cropped, if you'd like.




I often use the "auto color" filter and/or the "lights on" filter. Once you've added a filter, you can scroll down again and add another filter.




I like than I can adjust how much of the filter I want to use.




At this point I can save it to my camera roll.



{Do you see that "Instagram - Float" button? You can use that to post non-square photos to Instagram.}

Another option is to "Open In" LetterGlow to add digital stamps. I learned how to do this a few years ago, and I was happy to pass the tip on to Cathy Zielske. She made an awesome video tutorial on using LetterGlow, which you can watch here

Once I have my photo ready, I can share to social media, or I can upload to Dropbox



I upload my photos to Dropbox once per week, and I get my husband and son to do the same. When we sit down to watch TV, I get the photos selected and uploading. I have a folder for each month. 

At the end of the month, I hop on my computer and copy the photos from the Dropbox folder into a monthly folder on an external hard drive. 




I'm comfortable with keyboard short cuts, so I open the Dropbox folder that I want to copy from and 

  1. select "ctrl + a" to select all the photos
  2. hit "ctrl + c" to copy them
  3. Open the folder on the hard drive that I want to copy them to
  4. hit "ctrl + v" to paste
You can do the same things by right-clicking your mouse to copy and paste.

I also back up to a second external hard drive because I'm extra cautious. Once I have the files saved to the external drive, I delete them from my phone. 

The photos are nicely organized, so when it's time to work on Project Life, I simply go to the photo folder for that month. I also appreciate that Dropbox names your photos by the date they were taken, so that helps keep things organized.




Hope this is helpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment